To protect employees from common parking lot safety risks such as assault, theft, harassment, it is important that employers encourage their employees to practice the following:
- Park as close to the building as possible, preferably in a well-lit area.
- Park near a parking attendant if there is one on staff. If parking underground, employees should park nearest to the stairs or elevators.
- Park near the main building entrance, avoiding rear or secluded exits.
- Keep their valuables like purses, wallets, laptops, and recently purchased items out of sight in their vehicle and locked in the trunk.
- Roll the windows up in their vehicles and keep the doors locked at all times.
- Avoid parking next to large vehicles like vans and trucks, as they can block sight-lines.
- Avoid approaching individuals loitering in the parking lot.
- Employees should walk to and from their vehicles with at least one other person whenever possible, especially at night.
- Remain alert of their surroundings.
- Employees need to trust their instincts. If a situation feels unsafe, they should be instructed to get to safety as soon as possible and call for help.
Employees should be encouraged to immediately report any incidents that occur, and employers should take action as soon as possible.
Ottawa, ON K2P 0M3