You purchased a boat to provide years of personal enjoyment—ensure your pleasure by choosing the right Ontario boat insurance broker.
The Ontario Boat Insurance Basics
A small boat, such as a canoe or other un-motorized boat, is typically covered under the personal property portion of your homeowners insurance policy.
If you own a larger, faster boat, you'll need a separate Ontario boat insurance policy. It can help you insure your investment in the event of loss due to following risks:
Boat Insurance Coverage
A typical Ontario boat insurance policy is designed to protect your boat, motor, equipment and passengers. It provides similar coverage to those you typically have for your car including the following:
- Theft, loss or damage to the boat and attached equipment
- Bodily injury coverage
- Damage caused to someone else's property by your boat or watercraft
- Liability coverage for your passengers, which would include family and guests
- Medical payment coverage for injuries to the occupants of the boat
Physical Damage Coverage
Physical damage coverage insures your boat, motor, boat trailer, boating equipment and other personal property against accidental loss or damages.
Boat Liability Coverage
Two principal liability coverages are included:
- Personal liability coverage provides protection for legal liability and pays, up to the limit of your policy, the legal obligations imposed upon you due to an accident resulting from the ownership, maintenance or use of your watercraft, including bodily injury, property damage and legal defence.
- Medical payments coverage pays medical expenses up to the limits in the policy, including the insured’s boating-related medical expenses from an accident arising out of the ownership, maintenance or use of the boat. Expenses include hospital, medical and ambulance.
Additional Boat Insurance Options
For added protection, consider the following additional coverage options:
- Reasonable repairs: Covers repairs done to protect covered property from further damage.
- Emergency service: Pays for reasonable costs that you incur resulting from specified emergency service to your boat, motor or boat trailer.
- Wreck removal: Pays the reasonable expenses you incur for any attempted or actual raising, removal or destruction of the wreck of your watercraft when damage is caused by an insured loss and removal or destruction is required by law.
- Umbrella liability: Provides additional boat insurance coverage across the board for home, auto and watercraft.
Call your Ontario boat insurance broker today at 613-236-9101 to learn more about our insurance solutions for all of your recreational, home and auto needs. Already a Scrivens client, sign in to Scrivens Online to find your broker's contact details.