Stay up-to-date with the latest insurance and investing news, tips, and information.

FAQ: Water Damage and Overland Flooding

April 5, 2019

Today's changing climate has seen an increase in extreme weather events as $1 billion has become the new normal for yearly catastrophic losses, mostly due to water-related damage.

Many of our customers have questions at this time of year as rainwater adds to the melting snow. Last Spring was difficult for many homeowners in Ottawa. Rivers were overflowing, streets were flooded, and water damage claims were rising along with the water level.

Below are some of the common questions asked about property water damage.

What should I do if there is an imminent threat of overland flooding?

If overland flooding is imminent, we advise our customers to shut off electricity to areas of the home that may be affected. Customers should also use sand bags, install flood shield, or build-up barriers for basement windows and doors.

What should I do if I have a water damage claim?

Scrivens customers should call our direct phone number 613-236-9101 during business hours (8 AM to 5 PM, Monday to Friday). Otherwise, call our 24-hour emergency claims line 1-800-267-3542.

We encourage you to try to safely mitigate the damage as much as possible, even before the arrival of an adjuster or contractor. Also, taking pictures of damage from all angles will help make the claims process run as smoothly as possible.

When will I hear from a contractor?

Contractors will call you as soon as possible to set up an appointment. We can provide you with a contractor's phone number, in case you need to share something urgent.

How do we dispose of debris?

It depends on what you're disposing of. Some debris can be thrown out with the trash, other materials may require special pick up, which could be arranged by the City of Ottawa if a large area has been impacted and you should check with the city for these types of notices.

We suggest you make a list and take pictures of everything that is damaged or thrown away (ie. building samples such as flooring).

I want to know what will be covered before authorizing repairs.

We advise our customers and/or the contractors that adjusters work as quickly as possible and that we cannot confirm coverage over the telephone.

We recommend you mitigate the damage as much as possible and if the damage isn't covered, it will be your responsibility to repair the damages anyway. So, if you don't respond quickly, the damage could be worse.

What if I have to leave my home?

You must retain all receipts as a result of the event and provide them to the adjuster, who needs these receipts to evaluate the claim.

Remember, we are here to help make the complete insurance transaction as less complicated as possible for you! If you should have any questions along the way, we're always happy to help by phone or email.

Source: Intact Insurance